Friday, October 30, 2009

weekly blog from October 29

Darn, overwhelmed again. The technology class continues to offer an avalanche of technology suitable for the classroom and it can be overwhelming. What I need is to begin to develop some filters.
Filter number one: Robin and Carrie. they are both editors for the technology magazine I read every Thursday night. I try not to think how much time it takes for them to find and evaluate the sites and software they offer us because there must be a good number of duds. I have to remember that this is not the subscribe to a magazine paradigm. No editor is in their ivory tower picking content for you in web 2.0, you simply look behind Robin and Carrie and what do you find is the free technology for teachers web site http://www.freetech4teachers.com/. This is now my Filter number two. I need to get a collection of filters together to keep me in touch with all the technology offerings I might be interested in. It was this macro-view of technology that really hit me this week in class. My question is how do I find technology that I can apply to Robin's standard of helping me to teach. I will have to get a collection of editors. I will also need to have groups that I can ask and reflect off and of course our cohort is a great group for that since we are all basically on the same part of the education technology curve. This will be my Filter number three.
The application of my filtering network of sites and groups will have to become part of my lesson preparation.

No comments:

Post a Comment