Saturday, December 4, 2010

Poor man's student white board.


As I was considering assessment options for my students with my clinical faculty she mentioned the idea of having each student write on a small whiteboard at their desk and thus be able to hold up their answers in such a way that I can quickly assess the class’ learning of a given objective.  She thought I might ask if there was a set in the school.  There was no set in the school but my cooperating teacher said that once upon a time he would but a sheet of shower panel (intended to create fiberglass like walls in a walk in shower) and use that as a white board.  He said you can get them cheap at Home Depot.  I am now the proud owner of one such sheet ($12.00) which I quickly cut with a saw into 32 one square “tablets”.  Both my cooperating teacher and I are excited about putting them to work to assess our teacher check points.  I am sure complications will arise.  Dare I hope that I can turn the use of the white boards into my lesson hook?

1 comment: